Thursday, February 3, 2011

baitee jadeed

This is just a quick update about my homestay, aka my new house (baitee jadeed) and letting you all know that I've finally moved in. My host family is incredibly sweet and nice. the dad and aunt (I don't want to give out their names) are Iraqis, while the mom is Jordanian and Lebanese. And get this - they have a three year old son. That's right, I'm living with a toddler. He's turning four next tuesday and while he is a whirlwind of activity, he is so sweet. His nickname is Fu Fu and he likes to dance.

Tomorrow is family day (it is for everyone in Jordan) so Idk what we'll be doing, but we're definitely sleeping in. Tonight, however, we sat at the kitchen counter in our pj's and ate dejaaj curry (curry chicken) an Iraqi dish that the aunt cooked for us. She does most of the cooking, and it's usually either Iraqi or Turkish in origin. As well, we had this great sesame bread and some of the best tea I've ever had in those little Arabic cups without handles. I felt so legitimately Arabic today.

I'll update more when I have more sleep. Tonight will be the first night since I got here that I can just sleep through the night and not get up ridiculously early for breakfast. Ohibkum wa ma'a salaama.

Beth

2 comments:

  1. Bring back recipes! A girl from Jordan lived with my family for a while and she only cooked dinner once but I still remember it - tere was chicken, rice, pototoes I think and some other vegetables but still spicy and delicious. Also, it seems like you'll be getting along well with your host family so that's good. Hope you enjoy the experience and I can't wait to war your stories. Have fun bethyboo! Also, sorry I didn't get to say goodbye.
    -Katie C

    ReplyDelete
  2. beth, i am so excited for you! i can't wait to read more about your adventures! it sounds like you're going to adjust just fine. study abroad was one of the most incredible experiences of my life and i know it will be for you too. love you!

    ReplyDelete