Wednesday, February 9, 2011

pita, peanut butter, and shay

That is my breakfast, everyday. And that rhymed, so I get bonus points.

Not a whole lot to talk about today. I'm just getting into a routine, although I keep forgetting what day and date it is all the time (classes Sunday through Thursday - whaaaat.) Beyond that, I went to the gym for the first time today. It's right across from our study center, up the hill a little bit. It's a ladies gym, so it's sort of down and around a corner so that no guys can accidentally look in. Everyone in there is fabulous, and you can wear whatever you want to work out. Best of all, of course, is the showers. I paid 95 JD to shower for three months. This also means I have to work out, of course, so I will be in tip-top shape for Quidditch, inshallah. What was really interesting is that back in the locker area, there's an open locker with a prayer rug and skirt. I went to work out around six, and I heard the call to prayer while I was going in. So, when I was back in the locker room changing, occasionally a woman would come in and grab the prayer rug and lay it down and start praying, right then and there. And everyone just went with it. I never though a locker would become a prayer room, but apparently it happens all the time. As well, it was interesting to watch the girls put on the niqab and hijab. I think joining the gym was one of the best decisions I've made here so far.

Other than that, not much else is new. My Arab Women Writer's professor is the biggest feminist I've ever met in my life, and she's an activist for women in the ME, and she is AMAZING. Emily, you would love her so much. And I got to make a Rape of the Lock reference, so I think I started the class off on a good note :) I've also made a Jordanian friend, who sits and talks with me every morning before my Amiyyah class. She's originally from New York, so her English is pretty good, but between the two of us we plan to practice English, Arabic, and Spanish, which is her major.

Ma'a Salaama!

Beth
p.s. Ginny - What's My Name came on the radio on my way home. Thought of you :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it needs to be mentioned, that you're clearly misleading her, as you don't speak spanish. :P
    And I'm so excited for you to be in better shape for Quidditch! That way, whenever I play against you next year (w. the new team I'll have formed) I can crush you again, but this time it won't be quite as boring. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I'd just like to say that you and I will crush Antonio if he ever dares to show his face in a match against us. :) Also, Jordan sounds amazing and foreign and I am going to keep reading your blog forever and ever until you get back.

    ReplyDelete