Wednesday, February 2, 2011

OH NA NA shu ismee?

(that one's for you ginny.)

So not as much to update today. The call to prayer just started, which is something I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of. It’s this all pervading, haunting call that comes from crackling speakers all over the city – as if Allah himself is yelling in your ear every where you go. It can’t quite drown out the sound of car horns, however ☺

Today we visited the study center for our program and the UJ campus. The campus is huge compared to what I’m used to, but that’s expected for a campus that has to hold 30,000 students rather than just 2,000. Luckily, most of the signs are in English as well as Arabic, so even if I’m lost I get a slight amount of help that way. Classes start Sunday, so I’m glad I have the weekend to just sit, unpack, and sleep. I’m really excited to join the various clubs, however, like culture club or conversation club or calligraphy club. As well, there’s a ladies’ gym across the street from the study center I might join, as many of the girls who’ve been in the program previously think that it’s awesome.

One thing I’m definitely worried about here is learning to take a taxi. I’ve taken a taxi a handful of times in my life, and never on my own. Now, I have to take one every day (unless I want to take the bus, which at this point for me is a bad idea) AND I have to figure it out in Arabic. Luckily, we had an Amiyyah (dialect) class today that helped us understand how to use a taxi and speak with the driver. It was a lot like my Arabic classes at Denison, which are very intense and in your face. I was used to it, but I felt bad for the kids who’d never had an Arabic class in their life, who couldn’t even read the textbook. I don’t think I’d ever be able to travel to a country like that and not even be able to read the signs!

Right now I’m just kiling time until dinner, as usual trying not to fall asleep. I think I might make it today though, which is excellent. Right now I’m just trying to get some forms filled out and ready to be turned in later this week. Once I have a routine, I’ll be a happy camper.

That’s basically all for now. Ma’a salaama!
Beth

4 comments:

  1. So, Beth, do you think they have a Cash Cab in Amman???

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you have classes on Sunday, what days are your "weekend?" friday and saturday? -ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) I saw the title for this on facebook and started singing in my head "Banana, name is Joe."
    b) I loled when it said that one's for you Ginny
    c) OMG CASH CAB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, I doubt it. Ellen, my weekend is Friday and Saturday - Friday is like Sunday here, the day everyone goes to the mosque for prayers (and then protests, apparently)

    ReplyDelete